Kingspan Kooltherm K8 Cavity Wall Insulation
Kooltherm K8 Cavity Wall Insulation is a super high performance, fibre-free rigid thermoset closed cell phenolic insulation core, sandwiched between two layers of reflective, low emissivity composite foil autohesively bonded to the insulation core during manufacture. This reflective, low emissivity surface improves the thermal resistance of any cavity adjacent to the board.
Key Benefits of K8 Cavity Wall Insulation
- Super high performance rigid thermoset phenolic insulation
- Fibre-free, closed cell insulation core
- Clear cavity is maintained – resists moisture penetration
- Low emissivity foil facings significantly increase the thermal resistance of the cavity
- Easy to handle and install
- Manufactured with a CFC/HCFC-free blowing agent that has zero ODP and low GWP
- Compliant with AS/NZS 4859.1
- CodeMark-certified for BCA compliance
Installation Instructions for K8 Cavity Insulation
- Construct the inner leaf to at least an appropriate level to allow installation of Kingspan K8 Cavity Board to
- Remove excess mortar and mortar droppings from exposed edges of any installed insulation boards.
- Offer the K8 Cavity Board to the external face of the internal leaf and secure in place using the
wall ties and retaining disc / clip.
- Ensure wall ties include a retaining disc / clip and be of the double drip type, installed drip downward.
- The outer leaf is then built up to the level of the top of the boards and the process is repeated.
- Ensure that a residual cavity of at least 40 mm is maintained in accordance with the moisture penetration provisions set out in
the masonry structures standard AS 3700 as called up in the NCC Volume 1, Section B1.4
Cutting and Packaging
Cutting should be carried out either by using a fine toothed saw, or by scoring with a sharp knife, snapping the board over a straight edge and then cutting the facing on the other side. Ensure accurate trimming to achieve close-butting joints and continuity of insulation. According to quantity, the boards are supplied in packs, labelled and shrink-wrapped in polythene.
Handling and Storage
The packaging of Kooltherm should not be considered adequate for long term outdoor protection. Ideally boards should be stored inside a building. If, however, outdoor storage cannot be avoided then the boards should be stacked clear of the ground and covered with an opaque polythene sheet or weatherproof tarpaulin. Boards that have been allowed to get wet should not be used.
Resistance to Solvents
The insulation core is resistant to short–term contact with petrol and with most dilute acids, alkalis and mineral oils. However, it is recommended that any spills be cleaned off fully before the boards are installed. Ensure that safe methods of cleaning are used, as recommended by suppliers of the spilt liquid. The insulation core is not resistant to some solvent-based adhesive systems, particularly those containing methyl ethyl ketone. Adhesives containing such solvents should not be used in association with this product. Damaged boards or boards that have been in contact with harsh solvents or acids should not be used.
Kooltherm K8 Durability
If correctly applied, Kingspan Kooltherm products can be expected to have a long life of service. Their durability depends on the supporting structure and the conditions of its use, however these products are warranted for a period of 10 years for both residential and commercial installations.*
* Subject to the terms of the complete Kingspan Kooltherm® warranty document which is available upon request or downloadable from www.kingspaninsulation.com.au.