Difference between wall and ceiling insulation. Can they be interchangeably used?

ceiling insulation

Residential insulation is designed for the four main areas of your home; ceiling, walls, underfloor and between floor areas. Insulation is designed specifically for each area to ensure it fits the required stud spacing’s, cavity depth and thermal ratings (R-values). For example, ceiling insulation is too thick and not rigid enough to be used in a wall cavity, without being compressed and compromising on R-value rating. Additionally, wall insulation has a water repellent added to it whereas ceiling insulation don’t. We recommend using the insulation type designed for its specified area for best thermal performance and energy savings.

Can you use wall insulation in the ceiling?

Wall insulation is not suited for use in a ceiling cavity space and wall insulation R-values would not be adequate for your ceiling area. The highest R-value that wall insulation reaches is an R2.7HD, however we recommend a minimum of R4.0 for ceiling insulation. Wall insulation also comes in different thicknesses and widths suited for wall cavities not ceiling spaces. On the other hand, some wall insulation products can be used as underfloor insulation as these areas share similar dimensions and R-value requirements. For example, Knauf Earthwool Sound Shield R2.0HD and R2.5HD, can be installed in both wall and underfloor areas.

What insulation should I use in my ceiling?

The Building Code of Australia (BCA) sets the regulatory requirements of R-value rating for different parts of your home. If you live in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Perth, or Brisbane we recommend installing a minimum R-value of R4.0. Just remember that this R-value is a minimum requirement and upgrading to a slightly higher R-value can further increase your thermal performance and reduce energy bills. The BCA requirements differ depending on where you live and your climate zone, for cooler climates and alpine conditions an R-value of 6.0 or above is usually recommend. If you are unsure about which ceiling insulation R-value you should purchase, please Contact Us for free expert advice!

Wall insulation

What is the best insulation for walls?

When choosing insulation for your walls consider the acoustic and thermal capabilities of the insulation. All insulation provides a level of thermal resistance (this is their R-value) but choosing insulation that can minimize noise levels within your home can create a more comfortable home. There are two types of wall insulation we would recommend you install in your home, which is external and internal wall insulation. The main purpose of external wall insulation is to reduce temperature transfer from outside the home to inside, whilst internal wall insulation reduces unwanted sound travel between adjoining rooms. Insulation internal wall insulation can also allow heat to be retained within rooms which can create climate zones within your home. We recommend installing a minimum of R2.5 wall insulation in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide. Installing wall insulation should be done during the construction phase or during a major renovation project, as it’s difficult and messy after the plasterboard has been installed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *