Looking for the best acoustic insulation batts in Australia? In this post our insulation experts will walk you through everything you need to know..
Noise pollution can have a big impact on our mental health and wellbeing. Whether it’s noisy traffic disturbing your sleep or feeling worried that your neighbors can hear you, managing noise levels within the home can make all the difference.
Acoustic insulation batts are one of the most effective and cost-efficient ways to soundproof your home if you are building or renovating. Once installed, you’ll begin to experience the benefits straight away.
Why Invest in Acoustic Home Insulation?
The benefits of sound insulation include:
- Reduces Outdoor Noises – Acoustic insulation will reduce sounds from outside your home such as heavy traffic, noisy neighbours and barking dogs.
- Provides Privacy – Acoustic batts work two ways. Not only will they reduce the amount of noise entering your home, they’ll also reduce noise from inside your home travelling outside.
- Creates Acoustic Zones – Do you have particular rooms in your home that you want to keep quiet? Acoustic insulation can help you create sound sanctuaries inside your home, even if the kids are playing loudly in the games-room or someone is cooking up a storm in the kitchen.
- You Get Thermal Benefits Too! – Acoustic insulation will also slow down the flow of heat and increase your home’s energy efficiency. The main difference between sound insulation vs thermal insulation is that sound insulation is specially designed to be thicker and more dense to absorb sound. The R-Value of the product will tell you how much insulating power it has.
Video: Does My Home Need Acoustic Insulation?
Where should I Install Acoustic Insulation?
You can install acoustic insulation throughout your home including the following places:
- External Walls – to soundproof against outside noises such as traffic, loud neighbours, aircraft, dogs barking etc.
- Internal Walls – to reduce noise transfer between rooms and keep key rooms quieter such as bedrooms, bathrooms and home theatres.
- Between Floors – to create quiet zones in your home and reduce noise transfer through the mid-floor of a multi-storey building.
- Ceilings – to minimise exterior noises, especially if you are directly under a flight path.
Best Soundproofing Insulation Materials
The most common materials to use in soundproofing your home are glasswool or polyester acoustic insulation batts.
Glasswool Acoustic Batts
Glasswool – also known as fibreglass – is made from recycled glass materials. Glasswool is a very effective acoustic and thermal product which doesn’t attract vermin. It is treated with silicon to make it more water resistant.
Thanks to advancements in technology, glasswool has greatly improved over the last few decades with regards to its itch-factor. Modern products such as Earthwool Insulation and Pink Soundbreak batts are softer to touch and much more pleasant to handle than traditional glasswool products.
Glasswool insulation also has a higher compression factor than polyester and other insulation materials. This means more batts can fit within the packaging, reducing delivery and storage costs.
Polyester Acoustic Batts
Polyester batts are made from recycled plastic bottles and other plastic materials. They tend to be more expensive than glasswool products but share the same benefits including excellent acoustic and thermal properties, rot-resistance, mould-resistance and vermin-resistance.
Having no breathable fibres, polyester is completely itch-free, soft to touch and pleasant to handle if you are planning a DIY project. Options such as Bradford Polymax batts are non-allergenic and safe for homes of people with asthma or dust allergies.
Popular Acoustic Insulation Products for Australian Homes
Earthwool is manufactured from up to 80% recycled glass material and is made with advanced ECOSE technology which makes it softer to touch. The bio-based binder used has no added formaldehyde, no artificial colouring or other harsh chemicals.
Earthwool Sound Shield insulation batts are rigid and firm and do not sag when installed. In addition, these insulation batts are non-combustible and come with a 50 year product warranty.
Sound Shield acoustic insulation can be installed in your ceiling, internal and external walls and between floors in a double storey home.
Popular Earthwool Sound Shield products include:
- R2.0 HD Wall Insulation Batts
- R2.5 HD Insulation Batts
- R2.7 SHD Insulation Batts
- R4.0 HD Insulation Batts
Manufactured in Australia, Pink Soundbreak batts are softer to touch than other traditional glasswool products. They are made from up to 80% recycled content and bio-soluble materials.
Pink Soundbreak insulation batts are non-combustible and backed by a homeowner lifetime warranty. They are firm and rigid, making them easy to install and secure in place. They are considered low-allergenic and are suitable for both DIY and professional installations.
Pink Soundbreak batts can be installed in residential internal and external walls, ceiling and subfloor in a double storey home.
Popular Pink Soundbreak batts include:
- R2.0 Soundproofing Insulation
- R2.5 Sound Insulation Batts
- R2.7 Sound Insulation Batts
- R3.1 Soundproofing Insulation
Soundcreen insulation provides your home with premium thermal and soundproofing properties. The batts are non-combustible, low-allergenic and a highly durable choice.
CSR Bradford Soundscreen has a partnership with National Asthma Council Australia’s Sensitive Choice as it is low allergen and approved for use in homes of people with asthma and allergies.
Soundscreen can be installed in the walls, floor and ceiling of your residential home, and has a 70 year product warranty attached.
Popular Bradford Soundscreen Insulation products include:
- R1.7 Acoustic Insulation Batts
- R2.0 Acoustic Insulation Batts
- R2.5 Acoustic Insulation Batts
- R3.1 Acoustic Insulation Batts
Bradford Polymax Acoustic Insulation
Bradford Polymax Acoustic Insulation is an effective sound absorber that can effectively reduce loud voices to a quiet murmur. Polymax Insulation is made from 100% polyester, of which up to 80% is from recycled material. These acoustic insulation batts can reduce airborne sound, impact noise and noise transfer. They are resistant to insects and vermin, non-toxic, non-allergenic and Red List Chemical free. These rigid, self-supporting batts are suitable for internal and external walls and between floors of a double storey home.
Best Sound Insulation for Walls
Before ordering your acoustic insulation, check the wall cavity depth and stud width you will be working with. Acoustic batts are available in anything from 70mm up to 110mm and stud widths are usually 430mm or 580mm.
Ensure you have measured the area and know how much insulation is needed per square metre. Then decide whether you prefer polyester or glasswool insulation. We offer a range of reputable and durable acoustic insulation brands at Pricewise Insulation.
Be sure to choose an R-value that corresponds to the area in which you would like to insulate and your geographical location.
For wall applications, we recommend:
- At least R2.5 for cooler climates such as Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.
- At least R2.0 for warmer climates such as Brisbane, Perth and northern NSW.
Choosing the right soundproofing home insulation?
Looking for the best acoustic insulation for your home? Pricewise Insulation has everything you need. We’re Australia’s biggest online insulation store providing high quality and affordable insulation solutions Australia wide.
Check out our acoustic insulation products or get in touch for more information.
Featured ProductsBrowse All